Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Lucy

Lucy, second year LLB Law

Lucy defines her style mostly in terms of music. 90's indie pop music and Tracyanne Campbell (singer from Camera Obscura) provide her with plenty inspiration, but her transferring of music into her clothing does not end there: “I used to always buy a t-shirt at a gig, but more and more bands seem to be selling tote bags now which I think is great.” You can't see it in the picture but indeed, she caught my eye because of the numerous tote bags she was carrying around campus. Apart from those, her basics mostly hail from the usual Zara, H&M, a Primark here and there. And like most people, she does not shy away from a vintage twist: she recommends charity shops outside of London to “find the real gems”. Today she accessorized with a scarf from her grandfather (finally something different than “I found it in my mom's closet!”) and a coat from Marks and Spencer! She has a penchant for boys' clothing (“more than is probably normal for a girl!”), mostly baggy knitwear and oversized t-shirts, but, as she puts it, “I never wear trousers, so maybe that balances it out!” Trying too hard, which is a mistake many Londoners make according to her, is not her thing. I seem to be hearing the word “comfort” a lot these days when talking about clothing, as also Lucy emphasizes the importance of being confident in your clothes as well as them being practical. Still, she stresses the need for a certain balance: “I'm very grateful to be at a uni where people aren't draped head to toe in Jack Wills and Abercrombie and Fitch”. I think student style is all about dressing well without it being the main concern; after all, you need to be able to run to your classes when you're late and take into account the fact that the library staircase really does provide students in bean bags with an excellent view up your skirt. In this same spirit, Lucy recommends fingerless gloves as a must-have for winter. “I can't be the only person who's resorted to using my nose to answer a call on the iphone's touch screen when stuck in a pair of gloves in winter. Fingerless is the way to go.”